Sunday, January 9, 2011

What I've learned about high sec mining...

Not too long ago, I got ganked in high sec while mining. In fact, I've got a draft post that I just haven't finished describing the whole sordid affair. Anyway, I've learned a few things about high sec mining from the experience:

  1. If you can, use an Orca so you can avoid jet canning. The way that griefers can kill you without getting CONCORDed almost always involve cans, so generally speaking, no cans, no grief.
  2. If you do jet can, pay attention to your overview. The bad guy can't can flip if he isn't close to one of your cans.
  3. If you see someone approach your can and get within 2500m of it, it's best to just consider that can gone. I would not try to salvage anything from it and would just leave. Remember, he wants your ship, not your ore.
  4. If you are going to ignore the 3rd thing I've learned, then always grab stuff out of your can all at once, and only after making sure the can is not yellow. He will be sitting there with the can contents open, and the second he sees something disappear, he can drop something in, flipping the can and making you the thief the next item you move.
I'm sure there are tons of other rules for high sec miners, but these are the ones I learned from my little adventure. If you have any others, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a little late...but I just got caught up on my google reader..and would just like to point out that people can't "drop something in" your can. If they don't own it, they can't put stuff in it.

    The way flipping works, is they jet their own can, and put your stuff in it. Not a big deal, just couldn't help but to point that one little flaw out.

    ReplyDelete