Monday, September 7, 2009

Drones!!!

I've learned something recently: drones rock! If you haven't trained Drones and crammed as many as possible into your ship, you should stop everything and do it immediately. Go ahead and log in now and get that started. I'll wait....

Okay, now that you have Drones on your training queue, I'll tell you why they are important. Drones really add a lot of DPS when running missions, PvPing, etc. In addition, when you are fighting small, fast ships and they get in close, I've found it difficult for my larger guns to track them as they whiz around my ship. My drones, on the other hand, have no difficulty keeping up with them and firing away. I've had fights where I could not hit with my guns at all and my drones had to do all the DPS while I sat and armor repped.

For miners, if you stick combat drones in your drone bay, you won't be helpless when rats arrive in the belt. Clearly, you will have to bug out if something big jumps in, but for most situations, have 3-5 combat drones available will take care of business.

One other suggestion: I strongly recommend getting cheap drones. If you are anything like me, you have about a 30 to 50% chance that you'll forget to grab your drones as you leave, and going back to get them is a pain in the butt.

3 comments:

  1. Good info, from experience I know they'll kill frigates easily, whilst I couldn't hit them with my arty's because they were too close.

    and about forgetting them, happens to me most of the time too. However for mining I suggest to just equip 2 launchers to blast the pesky rats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are just worried about NPC frigate rats go for Hobgoblin I's or Hammerhead I's for cruisers. The Gallente drones have the highest damage modifier(meaning more DPS) so they will watch you back.

    If your paranoid about other players go for a swam of Warrior drones, they are the fastest drones out there...all the better for catching that speed tanking frig that is tackling you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Start learning to not forget those drones! T2 Drones are way better than their T1 counterparts...if you can use them...you should!

    ReplyDelete