Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Hey, Amarr pilots: Don't be like me!

Okay, I had one of those super noob moments tonight. (As an aside, super noob moments seem to happen pretty frequently in this game!) I was in a gang getting ready to run a site in our wormhole (did I mention I love our wormhole?), and I asked some of the experienced players what type of laser crystals I should be using. They said "It depends on the range", to which I replied "Oh, really?" They explained how each crystal trades off damage for range and vice versa. This is actually all stuff that I knew. What I didn't know is that the preferred approach for laser packin- capsuleers is to actively manage the crystals rather than just load them up and leav them.

Based on this info, I stopped by the corp hangar and grabbed some Microwave L and dropped them on my guns. Holy crap! I went from 45km optimal to roughly 70km optimal! Yes, my damage went down, but basically, I might as well not even shoot at 70km with the multifrequency crystals loaded due to the difficulty in hitting.

Anyway, you new(ish) Amarr pilots, here's what we're supposed to be doing: we should carry a bunch of different laser crystal types for our guns, and swap them out as needed depending on the range of our targets. I know 99% of you already knew that, but if I can help just one other noob such as me, it will all be worth it!

3 comments:

  1. i run 3 accounts, and i love amarr in WHs due to lack of ammo usage. i only use multifreq (-50% range, most damage), standard (normal range, -50% cap (usually most cap stable setup)), radio (+50% range)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same as Jared here, though I fly Amarr just for pvp and I use T2 crystals for range and Amarr Navy Multifreq for up close face-owning. Didn't know standards used less cap, that's something learned again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I fly the amarr harbinger and pack only two types of crystals : Amarr MF ( close in) Radio (for LR) granted in fit pulses but in this way I can hit at range and in close. Energy management at 4-5 is critical...GL

    ReplyDelete